Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Earl

It's pretty common for people to have an absent parent. For Tod, not knowing his father has seemed to be a bigger deal then what he has wanted people to believe. He was however been raised by an amazing mom all the while she kepping his ass in line, she taught him how to act, and mind his manners.
"She's as mean as a snake!" he would tell me when he would remember times of his childhood, when his mom would have to spank him for some crazy act he did.
To me, she's wonderful, she's a blessing, and I love her. She loves my family, loves Kira and loves our baby Olivia.
He is blessed with an amazing mom.

Not knowing Earl is a sad thing. I wish Tod had a chance to sit and talk to him and get his side. To give him a chance to explain, apologize and perhaps be delighted in the fact that he had known his son, just for a small moment.

People spoke highly of Earl and some even acknowledged his flaws, with laughter and love the memorial service was very honorable. He was a jokster, a friend, an uncle, a brother, and a father.
In my eyes, Earl is Tod's father.



Earl Shallenberger
Services are Tuesday for Earl Shallenberger, who died Jan. 10 at his Freedom home after a long illness. He was 69.
A native of Pennsylvania, Mr. Shallenberger lived in Santa Cruz County since 1961. He worked for 35 years as a ceramic tile setter and was a U.S. Army veteran.
Mr. Shallenberger is survived by his sons, Todd of Watsonville and Scott of Oregon; daughters Sheli and Staci, both of Colorado; brothers Charles of Freedom and Terry of Pennsylvania; sisters Patricia of Pennsylvania, Mary of Iowa and Verna of Massachusetts; two grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.
A memorial service will be 4 p.m. Tuesday at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall, 1960 Freedom Blvd., Freedom.
Arrangements are by Mehl's Colonial Chapel.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

awww thats so sad! I am sorry to Tod and the family for the loss of his father. Give him a great big hug for us.

sheli said...

You don't know me and I hope I don't offend you by posting here. My name is Sheli Shallenberger and Earl was also my father. What a positive outlook you have of such a negative history. I didn't know I had a half brother until I was contacted to sign papers after Earl's passing. Please have Tod contact me as I would love to find a positive connection to my father. My email is shflo@yahoo.com